Over the last couple of months I had been looking for a good axe that fits my criteria of light, effective and strong. These are hard qualities to find in an axe that was in the sub $100 price range so I was both excited and skeptical to try out the SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk Axe at its ridiculously low price of around 35 dollars. I got my hands on it right away and started to test it to see whether it could take the punishment I needed it too. Read on for the full review.
This axe has a lot of great features right out the box such as:
- Punch – A sharp steel punch that can cut holes in many materials such as metal and cinderblocks.
- Axe – unique look with its circular holes cut out of the side. Sharp right out of the box and designed to cut through what you throw at it.
- Side hammer – Checkered metal sides allow the hammer to ensure precise placement during swinging.
- Sheath – Nylon sheath with snaps to keep the axe securely in place as well as a belt hook to secure the axe to your belt.
- Handle – Fiberglass-reinforced nylon handle with a steel ferrule designed to secure the head and handle in place. Ergonomic design makes it easy to swing and it is textured to make it non slip.
- Lightweight – At just 24 ounces, you would be hard pressed to find an axe that did this well and was this light.
- Length – 15.75”
This really is a great axe. I used it to cut / split through wood, hammer in a nail and even attempted to throw it at a target. While I was not particularly good at this, the axe took the beating well. I plan to take this on my next camping trip and have no doubt it will be able to easily split the logs and whatever else I need it to do. For a good test on this axe abilities check out this Youtube video which shows it going through metal and a cinderblock.
Video from Youtube User
Another feature that I love about the axe is how light it is. It seems strong and sturdy but can easily be attached to a belt loop or back pack with relatively little added weight. I love being able to easily carry an axe that is as functional as this one.
At around 35 dollars it is hard to really see any cons with this axe and I fully recommend it. You can grab the . Check out the rest of the photos below.